It’s here! My Christmas round-up of gift ideas for fellow colours lovers. Finding the perfect gift for those of us who are of a maximalist spirit is pure joy. Bring on all the colour, all the pattern and all the gorgeousness.
This is also the first year that I have a gift idea offering! You can buy my online course ‘Bold Brave and Beautiful‘ interiors for a loved one and I’ll post out a gift box of goodies to them, including the online gift voucher and a handwritten note from me. The gift box includes my limited edition sketchbook as well as other goodies all adding up to a value of £50, all beautifully wrapped in this leopard print gift wrap by Petra Boase. You can purchase the gift box here.
Year on year I think we are all trying to be more mindful about how we shop and I think this year, in particular, has sharpened our focus on how we spend our money. Our high street stores and independent retailers, artists and designers have had their plans dashed by the lockdown. All the Christmas fairs cancelled and here in the UK, we continue to see some our most loved and established high street stores buckle under the strain of having their doors closed. But thank goodness for the postal service!
In this round-up, I include a mixture of gift ideas across the shopping spectrum, from favourite high street stores, online retailers to small brands and craftspeople. Sustainability is a mission that must be championed and I’m pleased to report that many retailers are using biodegradable (ie not plastic) packaging which in this online shopping age is as important as the objects themselves. But there is still work to be done and we should continue to apply pressure for businesses to do better.
But on with the colour joy, this my lovely readers is my round-up of gift ideas for the colour lover in your life. Unleash a little rainbow love under your tree this year.
1. The follow up to Conscious Creativity this workbook is perfect for those with a love of creativity or for those looking to unlock it. I adore Philipa’s talent for unbridled inspiration, Conscious Creativity, The work book: Experiment, explore, create £12.99, 5ftinf |
2. Oh you know how I love an oversized earring, and these bejewelled beauties are sure to dazzle (and spot the ombre effect on some of the stones- nice!), Rainbow rhinestone hanging earrings, £35, & Other Stories |
3. Two things to love here. Super soft retro velour for some luxey lounging. And rainbow detailing! Velour sweatshirt, dress blue, £60, St Bert’s |
4. We all need a little mood boost this time of year, and I turn to scent when I want to switch the vibe. With proven therapeutic qualities known to relieve stress, improve sleep, energize, balance or calm the mind, essential oils aim to contribute to an overall improvement to your well-being and I’m here for that! Essential oils gift set, £35, FYG |
5. Who could resist that fabulous fringe! How to instantly up-level your interior with one fabulous lampshade, Grey Tiger Chinoiserie Crown Shade, £245, Abigail Hardie Home |
6. If, like me, you can never have too many notebooks, Emilio Braga has been producing these beautiful ones since 1918. They are still produced in the same handmade way, sewn and glued using techniques over 100 years old. I adore how the paper edges are sponged with a contrast colour to give a wonderful dappled effect. Emilio Braga A5 notebook, £19.50 each, Petra Boase |
7. I was overjoyed to see one of my favourite designers launch his online shop last month. A treasure trove for the magpie eye! This playful bud vase looks great with your favourite blooms or as a standalone piece, Little glass vase, £85, Matthew Williamson |
8. My husband is obsessed with his wireless speaker he takes it everywhere with him, either doing stuff in the garden or DIY. Now I can get in on the portable disco fun with this rainbow design, Ultimate Ears BOOM 3 Bluetooth Waterproof Portable Speaker, in Unicorn, £99, John Lewis |
9. The Colour File has been one of my long time favourite colour loving Instagram accounts and now Martha has bought her collage work into the real world! For all your rainbow chasers out there, check out her selection of art prints and cards, A3 Art print £35, The Colour File10. As a stylist, I love a cake stand. Not just for confections its a wonderful prop for styling fruit, nuts and ornaments at this time of year and adding some height to your tablescape. So I just have to have this rainbow one to my collection. Phoebe cake stand, £42, Anthropologie |
11. Skye McAlpine is not only a wonderful host and cook, but she’s also a fabulous colour lover to boot. Her latest book is a must for the budding entertainer, and the photography and styling is mouthwatering too, A Table for Friends: The Art of Cooking for Two or Twenty, £15.98, Amazon |
12. Can you have too many oversized rainbow-themed earrings?! Quite. I’d love to see these slipped into my stocking this year, Prism Bar & Circle Gem Inlay Statement Drop Earrings, £24 Oliver Bonas
13. Toiletries make a fabulous gift and I declare that soap is making a come back as it cuts back on plastic packaging and is has a wonderful retro vibe too. I love this set by one of my favourite designer makers, Purse and soap set, £18.80, Molly Mahon |
14. One thing I love to do at Christmas is make up little hampers for people as gifts. This would make the most marvellous receptacle and jolly useful too, Bolga storage basket Peppy, £35, Lola & Mawu |
15. It wouldn’t be Christmas without the moody glow of candlelight and these would make a stunning centrepiece, Two-Tone Javelin candles, £17.50 set 3, Sunshine & Snow |
16. The classic chocolate gift, I would love to see these stuffed in a stocking or added to a hamper. Its the packaging that caught my eye but Pump Street imports it’s beans direct from co-operatives and family-run farms and uses non-plastic compostable packaging so that almost makes it guilt-free right! Mini bars, selection of 6, £14.40, Pump Street Chocolate |
17. The best things come in little packages but sometimes the little package is the best bit! Small wooden lacquer rainbow box, £110, Matilda Goad |
18. Fashion brand Kemi Telford is always on my wish list but delighted to see the riot of pattern and colour rolled out into these cute hair accessories. And an ingenious way to reduce fashion waste too! Remnant hair bows, £19.99 set 4, Kemi Telford
19. These exquisite glasses are so much more than just for drinks. I use mine as candle votive holders and mini vases too. I can guarantee they spark joy! Set of 6 Peony glasses, £89, Graham & Green |
20. This book is as likeable, relatable and as stylish as the author herself. Erica is my go-to gal for fashion advise because she keeps it real while also giving you the confidence to break the rules in order to carve out your own unabashed sense of style. Leopard is a Neutral: A Really Useful Style Guide by Erica Davies, £11.97, Amazon
21. If having your daily cuppa is one of life’s most treasured rituals, then you might as well do it in colourful style, Mugs, £12 each, British Colour Standard |
22. Repeat after me ” I want all the patterns and all the colours, all at the same time!” Who knew you could apply this design rule to one piece of clothing but Wee Beauties have! , Lambswool knitted scarf, £58, Wee Beauties |
23. A fabulous pair of pyjamas has to be one of life’s lushest luxuries. I wouldn’t mind Santa catching me out in these, Bocas Print Lilac long pyjamas, £150, Desmond & Dempsey |
24. If you like your gifts to be useful as well as beautiful, and let’s throw sustainable in there too then I think I’ve found the perfect combination. Gomi innovate products made from plastic trash that would otherwise end up in landfills or the oceans. And it looks super cool too, Portable charger, £69, Gomi |
25. I admit, I can’t knit, but with people taking up new crafts a pace I might be tempted by this beautiful idea. A kit with just enough yarn to make your own pair of colourful woolly socks. Mimo Mash-Up Sock Kit, £20, The Mimo Yarn Co. |
26. Ooh I do love a good cushion and my home can never have enough. But if I was to treat my home this Christmas, I’d make it something really special, super-sized, super soft and velvety and in my go-to favourite colours. Sapphire Marbled Velvet Large Square Cushion, £185, Susi Bellamy.
Please note: All prices correct at the time of posting 03/12/20.
Featured photography by Alun Callendar